The tour Naples Historical Center will consider the achievements of the Arts and the roots of the Folklore in Naples focusing on the most important works, artists and traditions . This walking tour will be concentrated in the historical center of the city that is an actual hidden treasure chest.
Historical Center of Naples
The meeting point will be arranged in the historical center of Naples, at Piazza del Gesù, and your guide will start with an introduction to the historical and artistic events that characterize this area.
The visit starts in the Church Gesù Nuovo: once a Palace built in 1470, sold to the Jesuits order and turned into the current Church. Golden tones, baroque decorations and work of art show the painting skills of artists like Francesco Solimena, Luca Giodano, Massimo Stanzione.
At a very short distance you’ll see also the imposing Basilica of Santa Chiara with its cloister decorated with Majolic tiles.
Crossing Spaccanapoli (the road that split the center in two) you’ll see ancient Greek streets mixed with XVI century aristocratic Palaces until you’ll get to Piazza San Domenico. A marble obelisk dominates the square along with the Church dedicated to the Saint and built in the XIV century.
Around the corner there’s the famous Sansevero Chapel of the Prince Raimondo of Sangro. It has been declared the most beautiful private Chapel in Europe with its statues of exquisite beauty. Among them the legendary Veiled Christ, made by Giuseppe Sammartino, placed in the center of the nave.
The visit continues along the street San Gregorio Armeno famous for the hand made figurines decorating the Nativity Scenes.
Triumph of the Baroque style is the Chapel of San Gennaro inside the Cathedral of Naples. City Patron Saint of Naples his name recalls the miracle that takes place three times a year when his blood liquefies.
- Greek-Roman Neapolis
- Piazza del Gesù
- Church Gesù Nuovo
- Basilica of Santa Chiara
- Piazza San Domenico
- Sansevero Chapel
- San Gregorio Armeno
- Workshop of Nativity Scenes
- San Gennaro Chapel
- The itinerary is for guidance. It’s possible to customize it according to your interest and preferences.
- If you’re based outside Naples and you need information how to get to the center of the town don’t hesitate to contact us filling out the form.
- If requested is possible to see The Seven Works of Mercy, one of the three Neapolitan paintings of Caravaggio.
- Lunch break during the tour
- You may find a long line for buying the tickets of Sansevero Chapel. We highly suggest to buy the tickets online to skip the ordinary queue. Click here
- Comfortable outfit and shoes are warmly suggested
- Full day guided service and assistance during the tour
- Entrance fees:
- Sansevero: 7 euro + 2 euro for online booking
- Pio Monte della Misericordia: 7 euro
You may also like…
Naples Food Tour
- 5 hours
Pompeii Special Tour
- 3 hours
Naples and Pompeii Tour
- 8 hours