Sorrento is a pretty town near Naples and is one of the most requested summer resorts. It’s very well organized for tourism and is situated at a short distance from many others tourist attractions. It is said that its name is connected to the myth of the Syrens and the legend Ulysses. Birthplace of Torquato Tasso and selected site of Enrico Caruso, Sorrento is rich in history and culture. Strolling to the old centre will be an unforgettable experience to get in touch with the soul of the inhabitants. Sorrento is also nature, sun, sea and food! This tour ends with the visit of one of the most famous Limoncello factories with a tasting of local produce.
You’ll meet your guide in the main center called Tasso square for a relaxing walking tour through Sorrento. Even if nowadays this summer retreat is so trendy, at the same time is a very ancient town: traces of the Greek colonization are still preserved in the Greek layout of the historical center with its cobbled streets filled with little cafes, restaurants and shops selling typical souvenirs or local produce. Upon request it’s possible to stop in a limoncello factory on the way for tasting the famous digestive made with the special lemons of Sorrento.
The tour continues to the old town: your attention will be captured by the Seat Dominova where the noble families of Sorrento were used to meet and the imposing Bell Tower of the main church of Sorrento. You’ll be amazed by the breathtaking view of the Bay of Naples as soon as you’ll get to the public gardens, the best moment for panoramic shots! Near the entrance of the gardens you’ll see the cloister of Saint Francis, a lovely quaint courtyard dating back to the XIV century: different architectural styles characterize it and during the summer hosts some events, usually weddings or concerts of classical music.
At the end of the tour you can decide for a walk on your own but don’t miss a delicious ice cream in the center of the town before leaving.
- In Sorrento we do not suggest to hire a car because the town is small and all the most important sights are located in pedestrian areas.
- For cruise passengers: in the port of Sorrento there’s a lift for getting to the center. It takes 1 minute and the ticket costs 1 euro per person.
- The Limoncello tastings are free of charge
- From May to September could be very hot and light clothing is warmly suggested
- The main square
- Italy Avenue
- The Old towns and the Seat Dominova
- The public gardens
- The Medieval cloister of Saint Francis
What is included
- English speaking official guide and assistance during the tour
What is extra
- Entransce fees